Tuesday, January 20, 2009

a ray of hope

Why are there so many cool cars sold in Europe and Japan that never make it over here? I don't mean exotics, we get most of those and at this point in my life I couldn't care less. I'm thinking of things like the Ford Focus (British version), Fiesta, and Mazda 2. You know, cars that weren't designed from tank chassis.

Answer: 'Cause auto makers don't really care what Kenny likes and building/importing cars he thinks are cool would probably drive them out of business.

Well, seeing as they're already going out of business what's the difference? It seems Fiat might buy at least a portion of Chrysler which has me stoked for two reasons.

1. Alfas might be back!
Isn't a rule that you have to have owned an Alfa if you're into cars?

2. The Fiat 500.
The 500 is my everyday hero car. Italian auto's don't have much of a reliability reputation but I've loved this car since I first saw it and the new model has gotten really good reviews. The only damper on my fun would be the problem of fitting two Americans abreast in it. So, the chances of Fiat bringing over the 500 unmolested are slim but I'll keep hoping.

No comments: